DEFENDING CHAMPIONS ON TOP AFTER Q1Audi lead the way after the first of two qualifying sessions at the Armor All Bathurst 12 Hour.
On provisional, aggregate results from the first 90 minute session held in cool and clear conditions this morning, the Audi R8LMS of Christopher Mies, Christer Jens and Daryl O’Young topped the order with their accumulated time 6:28.65 seconds.
That places the defending race-winners less than one second up on the Maranello Motorsport Ferrari – but it gets closer than that from there.
Second, third and fourth are covered by less than two-tenths of a second, meaning any improvement at all from any driver in any car is likely to result in a positional change.
The Clearwater Ferrari was third – two-tenths behind the similar Ferrari – and just a fraction ahead of the Roger Lago / David Russell / Wayne Park Lamborghini Gallardo.
However question marks remain over the Asian entry, with Craig Baird breaking the parity benchmark of 2m08 seconds early in the session – ensuring the Clearwater Ferrari will race with an extra 50kg of ballast tomorrow.
The ‘Aussie Audi’ was fifth, less than four seconds behind their international team-mates.
PROVISIONAL QUALIFYING ORDER
(Aggregate times following Qualifying One)
1. #1 Phoenix Racing Audi R8 LMS 6:28.65
2. #17 Maranello Motorsport Ferrari 458 Italia 6:29.61
3. #33 Clearwater Racing Ferrari 458 Italia 6:29.63
4. #23 JBS Lamborghini Gallardo GT3 6:29.73
5. #2 Phoenix Racing Audi R8 LMS 6:32.25
6. #20 Erebus Racing SLS AMG GT3 6:39.68
7. #22 United Autosport Audi R8 LMS 6:45.41
8. #3 Hunter Sports Group (B)Porsche 997 GT3 6:54.20
9. #65 Southern Cross Lubes (B) Porsche 997 GT3 7:10.39
10. #21 Black Falcon Racing SLS AMG GT3 7:11.39
*All aggregate times are unofficial pending final confirmation from race secretary.
*Qualifying one only. Does not take into account Qualifying 2.
Back to news overview